Filed under: Uncategorized
1. Consider the events leading, directly or indirectly, to the Civil War. Was slavery the main issue for the war’s beginning?
2. What were other contributing factors?
3. If slavery began in this country in 1619, why did it take 200 years for it to become such a divisive issue?
4. What specific events helped to make slavery an issue of public debate?
5. Why did white people in the South believe that their liberty required the continuation of slavery?
6. Do your students agree or disagree with Lincoln’s idea that in a constitutional democracy no section of the nation is free to break away–that to attempt to leave is rebellion.
7. Why did the spirit of compromise which had helped the nation avoid civil war in earlier crises totally break down by 1860?
2. Slavery was the of the main issues for the war’s beginning but not the only reason.
3. Other contributing factors to the Civil War beginning were people in the north were beginning to realize that blacks were people to and they deserved rights. Another contributing factor was people in the south thinking that northerns had too much power. The economy also was fall because of the country being at war with itself.
4. It took 200 years for slavery to become such a divisive issue because in the beginning people were more focused on building up the nation and its government.
5. A few specific events that helped to make slavery a public debate was the print being killed over slavery even though he was a white man. Also, Abraham Lincoln being the president.
6. White people in the South believe that their liberty required the continuation of slavey because their way of life depended on it.
7. Yes i agree with Lincoln’s idea that in a costitutional democracy no section of the nation is free to break away. If a section were free to break away because of tough times then that would just cause the whole nation to eventually breakaway in to different groups and fall apart.
8.The compromise which had helped the nation avoid civil war in earlier crises totally broke down by 1860 because the couldn’t agree which means they were unwiling to continue with the compromise.
5 Comments so far
Leave a comment